|Year : 2014 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 195-196
Indian Regulatory Update: June-August 2014
Head Regulatory Affairs, Boehringer Ingelheim India Pvt, Ltd., Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Date of Web Publication||11-Sep-2014|
Boehringer Ingelheim India Pvt., Ltd.,1102, 11th Floor, Hallmark Business Plaza, Bandra (E), Mumbai - 400 051, Maharashtra
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Suvarnapathaki K. Indian Regulatory Update: June-August 2014. Perspect Clin Res 2014;5:195-6
This document provides updates in regulatory requirements regarding the conduct of clinical trials in India.
| Department Officer To Be Available For Clarifications/Grievances/Status of Application|| |
Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) has issued an office order to ensure availability of DDC or representative for discussion with stakeholder on status of the application and to provide clarifications and address grievances if any
Such officer will be available between 3 pm and 4 pm every day for different divisions and for global clinical trials the officer will be available on Friday at CHEB men's hostel
Details of the order can be read at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/Office%20Order%20dated%2027 th %20June%202014.pdf.
| Office order on placebo controlled studies|| |
The CDSCO has issued an office order with regards to placebo-controlled studies
Order considers placebo-controlled studies as special circumstances and active-controlled studies to be common now-a-days
Order specifies that design of the placebo-controlled studies needs to be appropriate, efficient and ethical
The detailed order can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/oo11.pdf.
| Office order on academic clinical trials|| |
The CDSCO has issued an office order regarding approval of academic trials
Order specifies that academic trials with the old drug will need approval only from IECs
Drug will be considered to be an old drug if the drug is being used in the country for the same indication, in the same dose, using the same dosage form and route of administration for more than 4 years
Order can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/oo6.pdf.
| Office order on ancillary care to clinical trial subjects|| |
The CDSCO has issued an office order specifying that the sponsor should make a provision for providing ancillary care to the clinical trial subjects for any other illnesses; such care needs to be provided at the same institute
The detailed order can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/oo5.pdf.
| Office Order Regarding Compensation For Injury/Death After Completion Of Trial|| |
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organization has issued an office order specifying that compensation needs to be provided to clinical trial subject for drug-related injury or death even if such injury is developed or death occurs after the completion of the trial
- Office order can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/oo4.pdf.
| Clinical Trial With Medical Devices To Follow Same Approval Process As Clinical Trials With Drugs|| |
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organization has issued an office order specifying the approval procedure to be followed for clinical trials with devices would remain same as that followed for approval of clinical trials with drugs and vaccines
- Order further specifies that the requirements for EC registrations, accreditation of investigator, etc., will also be same as clinical trials with drugs
- Office order is available at: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/oo3.pdf.
| New Drug Advisory Committees To Be Renamed As Subject Expert Committees|| |
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organization has issued an office order specifying that New Drug Advisory Committees would be renamed as Subject Expert Committees (SECs) and members for the same will be chosen randomly from a large pool of experts
- It is also proposed to constitute Technical Review Committee (TRC) under DGHS and having members from each necessary area
- Subject Expert Committees recommendations to be reviewed by TRC and CDSCO will grant approval to clinical trials based on the recommendation by TRC
- Order can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/officer%20order%201.pdf.
| Proposal for creation of it enabled system|| |
- With the aim to bring complete transparency and accountability in functioning, CDSCO has proposed IT enabled system
- In the first phase, CDSCO has proposed to create an IT enabled system for online submission of various information on clinical trials to streamline the process of approval, maintaining comprehensive database and monitoring of clinical trials for ensuring the protection of rights, safety and well beings of trial subjects and authenticity of the data generated
- Proposal has been released for commenting by all the stakeholders and can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/PROPOSAL%20FOR%20CREATION%20OF%20IT%20ENABLED%20SYSTEM.pdf.
| Office Order To Limit Number Clinical Trials An Investigator Can Undertake At A Time|| |
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organization has issued an office order limiting the number of clinical trials an investigator can undertake at a time
- The maximum trials, which can be undertaken by any investigator at a time is capped at 3
- Office order is available at: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/officer%20order%202.pdf.
| Three Independent Expert Committees To Analyze Sae-Death|| |
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organization has issued an Office Memorandum to provide further clarity on the committees that will analyze clinical trial related SAEs - deaths - that occur during clinical trials
- The Office Memorandum provides for the constitution of the following three independent expert committee panels that will be responsible for examining SAEs of deaths that occur during clinical trials:
- Independent Expert Committee - Cardiology
- Independent Expert Committee - Oncology
- Independent Expert Committee - General.
- The office memorandum can be accessed at following URL: http://www.cdsco.nic.in/writereaddata/Extension%20of%20Expert%20Committee%20.pdf.